Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Still here

I’m having surgery on Friday. This recent realization has me slightly freaked out.

But it is the new year! And although the ridiculous things that happened to me over the year (blog hijacking, root canal, sinus fiasco, stolen stereo, random parking ticket, rat in my toilet, crazy bridezilla) offer good blogging material, I’d like to have a less eventful 2007. Sound good to you?

I ended up ringing in the new year in Seattle. My friends and I decided to get out of town so we stayed in Bellevue and drove downtown to the party at the Space Needle. It was fun and all, but not the “crazy fun party” the Seattle-ites insisted it would be. The fireworks shot from the needle were fantastic, though.



Then we tried to get out of Seattle, and inexplicably found ourselves on Queen Anne Hill. We kept going and went up and over the hill, only to come full circle back at the goddamn Space Needle. We found our way to I-5 soon, however, and headed back to the hotel.

So in honor of this new, beautiful year, I offer this New Year Survey, and suggest you fill it out for yourself! It’s a thinker.

1. What did you do in 2006 that you’d never done before?
Took graduate school classes.
2. Did you keep your new year’s resolutions, and will you make more for next year?
I normally don’t make resolutions—they’re kind of silly. I mean, if you want to change something in your life, why wait until January 1st? Do it now!
I do, however, hope to up my exercise soon. I haven’t had a good work-out in months. I blame it on the ridiculous congestion that prevents me from breathing and makes me feel like I’m going to pass out because I’m not getting enough oxygen. But theoretically, 2 weeks after the surgery, I should be able to get it going again.
3. Did anyone close to you give birth?
Nope, not in ’06.
4. Did anyone close to you die?
Well, it might seem strange that I never mentioned this before, but my aunt died several weeks ago. I started to blog about it, but didn’t finish because I couldn’t really decide what to say. I hadn’t seen her in about a decade—she was a drug addict and estranged herself from the family. My mom went to visit her finally, and brought back pictures. At 45, she looked like my grandmother right before she died. My aunt was addicted to meth and heroin (as far as we know), and by the time she got clean, it was too late. She had Hep C & permanent brain damage and was living on disability. She got pneumonia and died.
5. What countries did you visit?
I didn’t go anywhere this year, really. I went to Washington, and that’s sort of close to Canada, right?
6. What would you like to have in 2007 that you lacked in 2006?
Better health, please.
7. What dates from 2006 will remain etched upon your memory, and why?
None in particular, really. September 25th was good because I started school.
8. What was your biggest achievement of the year?
Being accepted into and starting graduate school. And kicking ass while working full time and being full of snot.
9. What was your biggest failure?
I wasn’t able to convince my best friend that her impending marriage was a mistake. I hope I’m wrong and that they’ll live happily ever after, but I doubt it.
10. Did you suffer illness or injury?
Hahahahhaaa. That’s funny.
11. What was the best thing you bought?
Hmmmm…I didn’t buy anything really big…so I’ll have to say my new computer. And the following shoes:






Upon which I now feel the need to have these shoes:





12. Whose behavior merited celebration?
I’d have to say the American voter. Looks like they are starting to figure some things out!
13. Whose behavior made you appalled and depressed?
There’s the usual—the president and his blind followers who still fail to see the huge mistake that is Iraq. 3,000 of our own soldiers dead. How many more will we have to see?
14. Where did most of your money go?
Well, now that I’m an “adult,” the correct answer is rent, bills, car insurance, groceries and the like. But some went to school, a new computer, and you guessed it—shoes!
15. What did you get really, really, really excited about?
The election. I was jumping up and down. I don’t think I got anything done that day at work.
16. What song will always remind you of 2006?
“You Can’t Always Get What You Want” – Rolling Stones
17. Compared to this time last year, are you: a) happier or sadder? About the same, really. Maybe a little happier, regardless of 2006’s fiascos. b) thinner or fatter? I’m pleading the fifth on that one. c) richer or poorer? About the same. My raise in June didn’t do jack.
18. What do you wish you’d done more of?
I wish I had seen more movies. But they’re so damn expensive that I probably won’t change that this year.
19. What do you wish you’d done less of?
Getting frustrated and worked up over things I cannot control. I never thought I was a control-freak, but I think I may have to admit that I am. I don’t like things that I cannot change.
20. How did you spend Christmas?
Christmas was great. Just fantastic.
21. Did you fall in love in 2006?
Nope.
22. How many one-night stands?
Oh for crying out loud. This survey was doing so well. The correct answer is zero.
23. What was your favorite TV program?
House. I miss it. I have to wait until next week to see it again.
24. Do you hate anyone now that you didn’t hate this time last year?
Uh, no.
25. What was the best book you read?
Ooh, tough call… I’m going to have to go with The Kite Runner. If you haven’t read it, go do it. Run, don’t walk. I also recommend The Time Traveller’s Wife and The Memory Keeper’s Daughter. I do not recommend Running with Scissors. I was horrified.
26. What was your greatest musical discovery?
Hmmm…Snow Patrol, KT Tunstall, Hinder, Damien Rice.
27. What did you want and get?
Accepted into grad school.
28. What did you want and not get?
World peace.
29. What was your favorite film of this year?
Little Miss Sunshine, hands down.
30. What did you do on your birthday, and how old were you?
A few things—good friends, good food, good times. I hit the big 2-5.
31. What one thing would have made your year immeasurably more satisfying?
I would have loved it if my sinuses had cleared up after the first round of antibiotics. Ah, what a lovely thought.
32. How would you describe your personal fashion concept in 2006?
The usual. I like fashion, but I’m too broke sensible to buy extravagant things. I do have a shoe-shopping problem, though.
33. What kept you sane?
My friends. My family. This blog.
34. Which celebrity/public figure did you fancy the most?
Fancy? Is this a British survey? Well, I fancy several famous people: Orlando Bloom, Johnny Depp, Ty Pennington, Hugh Laurie, Barack Obama, and Taylor Hicks to name a few.
35. What political issue stirred you the most?
Yeah. Like I could narrow it down to one. But for the sake of this survey, I will say a pointless, violent, tragic war that is unnecessary and severely detrimental to the entirety of the world. Troy will fall again. Mark my words.
36. Who did you miss?
My friends that live far away (yes, even Bridezilla).
37. Who was the best new person you met?
I met a lot of people in 06—but the new people I like most are the friends I made in school.
38. Tell us a valuable life lesson you learned in 2006.
Keep your toilet lid closed at all times.
39. Quote a song lyric that sums up your year.
nothing unusual
nothing strange
close to nothing at all
the same old scenario
the same old rain
and there's no explosions here

“Amie” – Damien Rice


::::::

If I don’t get a chance to update in the next couple of days, I promise I will keep you posted on my surgery this weekend.

7 comments:

Matt Black said...

Good luck, break a leg, and all that good stuff!

AnonymousBlogger said...

Happy New Year.

Good luck with the surgery. I'm sure it will go fine. In the big picture, it is very minor, and those things go well. I mean it's like getting your wisdom teeth out. You'll be in and out in no time, and they will give you lots of fun drugs to make you very very happy. Do keep us posted.

madge said...

I'm sorry for your family's loss. :(

Happy New Year!

I had a beautiful time in Portland!

madge said...

PS...I hope you recover quickly!

Borya said...

It was always enjoyable reading your rants in 2006. Wish you a good year 2007. Glad that you kept up blogging after shortly taking that you-know-what, the bad h-word that made your ex-blog getting hijacked. Oh, and besides health reading through the survey I wish you one or the other journey in 07. In case work allows it.

Cristina said...

Lots of luck with the surgery - I'm sure everything will be alright. Keep us posted!

And I might steal the survey one of these days :) Loved reading your answers :D

All the best again!

Just Me said...

good stuff!