Thursday, December 21, 2006

Merry Christmas, Darling

To you and yours, and all who celebrate it, Merry Christmas. For anyone else out there, Happy Hanukkah, Happy Boxing Day, Happy End-of-December.

All will be merry and bright—

I post this each year (which I would link to if Mr. Hijacker didn’t interfere), but it’s my favorite thing ever written in this silly little world. Here I post my favorite parts of the famous editorial.



September 21, 1897:

Dear Editor: I am 8 years old.
Some of my little friends say there is no Santa Claus.
Papa says, 'If you see it in the sun it's so.'
Please tell me the truth; is there a Santa Claus?
--Virginia O'Hanlon



Virginia, your little friends are wrong. They have been affected by the skepticism of a skeptical age. They do not believe except what they see. Nobody can conceive or imagine all the wonders there are unseen and unseeable in the world.

You tear apart the baby's rattle and see what makes the noise inside. But there is a veil covering the unseen world which not the strongest man, nor even the united strength of all the strongest man that ever lived, could tear apart. Only faith, poetry, love, and romance can push aside that curtain and view and picture the supernal beauty and glory beyond. Is it all real? Ah, Virginia, in all this world there is nothing else real and abiding. No Santa Claus! Thank God he lives, and lives forever.

A thousand years from now, Virginia, nay, ten times ten thousand years from now, he will continue to make glad the heart of childhood.

-- Francis Church


10 comments:

Cristina said...

Merry Christmas to you too, Jennifer!! :D

Have a fabulous time with your family and friends.

I loved that editorial the first time you posted and loved it still. We have the three wise men over here and I confess I don't like it the way people are starting to "worship" Santa Claus, which is not at all traditional here. But in your culture, I do like it.

Ooh, what a rant - sorry. Happy Christmas again!

Adam Solomon said...

Label?

Tristan Pipo said...

I find it interesting how Blogger calls these labels where the rest of the web-o-sphere calls them tags.

del.icio.us , technorati. Hmmmmm.

Wordpress calls them catergories.

Tristan Pipo said...

And I can't spell categories.

AnonymousBlogger said...

Merry Christmas Junniper!

Thanks for mentioning Boxing Day. We really like it up here. And they like it on the other side of the pond too.

Luz said...

Feliz Navidad amiga!

Matt Black said...

Glad someone still believes in Santa...

madge said...

It's still Christmastime...so, Merry Christmas!

I'm having a beautiful time in Portland! I keep forgetting to wear my coat. Not a good thing.

bella said...

And Happy New Year!!!!

AnonymousBlogger said...

How long must we wait for our first update of the new year?