Monday, October 23, 2006

Jenniper on the town

Oh, thanks all for the birthday wishes! :)


After too much fun this weekend, I just can’t get back into the groove of things. This definitely ranks up there among great birthdays (even if I’m as old as MTV).

Thursday, being my actual birthday, was a little hard to celebrate since I had work and class. But a friend of mine who also had a class that night met me at Le Happy, a fabulous little Creperie on 16th. I enjoyed an apple & gorgonzola crepe with a cocktail called “Here Kitty.” So even if I couldn’t party like it’s 1999, I still squeezed in some fun.



<><><><><><><><><><><>

Friday night was the night to go out with my best friends, and although it was fun, I have to admit they were kind of Debbie Downers. We had dinner at Salvador Molly’s, which is one of my fave places, which I think I probably mentioned pre-hijacking. They have “Pirate Cookin’” and some great drinks.



A tradition good ol Salvador & Molly started was that of the “Great Balls of Fire.” These are fried balls of pure hell, also known as habaneros. So Gordon, the man of the group that night, decided he wanted to try one. Having already knocked back a cocktail, I figured I’d join in on the fun. Not to be outdone, Gordon’s fiancé Jessica joined the bandwagon. So we ordered 3 Balls of Fire. I could only eat half before I thought I was going to die. Jessica had one bite and gave it up. Naturally, Gordon played macho and ate his without a problem. Then he ate Jessica’s. Then he ate the other half of mine.

After dinner we jaunted over to Kells, my favorite Irish pub in town. But since the rest of the clan was having Debbie Downer time, we only stayed for one drink and then left.



This was probably a good thing, seeing as how Gordon started feeling the effects of Habanero Hell and writhed in agony on my living room floor.

I had a hard time not laughing.

<><><><><><><><><><><>

Saturday night was probably the most fun. One of my old coworkers who moved to Eugene (I know, what was she thinking) came up for a night on the town with my other old coworker (who still lives here) and her girlfriend. So it was a girls’ night out.

We started the evening by attending the opening of a new chocolaterie downtown. It’s called Cacao Drink Chocolate, and it’s so new that I couldn’t find it on Citysearch (it’s on 13th). Anyway, this place was ridiculous. They have crazy chocolates from all over the world (I myself purchased a bar made in Ecuador & a Mayan cayenne pepper bar). They were also serving the most orgasmic hot drinking chocolate ever. No, really. Ever.

Our dinner reservations weren’t until 7:15, so we went to the bar upstairs from Cacao, called Masu. Masu is actually a sushi bar that apparently has terrible sushi. But their drinks were fabulous and it had a fun, swanky atmosphere. We also had a nudey show from an old man across the street who didn’t close his blinds. He must have been about 60, and was obviously getting ready for a night on the town. Button-up shirt, a spray of cologne. It was quite entertaining.



After pre-dinner chocolate and pre-dinner drinks, we were off to Patanegra, a restaurant in Northwest that specializes in Spanish tapas. Yum. We must have ordered about 11 different tapas and a bottle of wine. Needless to say, we were stuffed to the gills. We must have been there for at least two and a half hours.



We were so delightfully full that we took a stroll down the neighborhood for a bit, ending the night with a café au lait.

All in all, it was a great 25th.

7 comments:

Adam Solomon said...

haha, the habanero reminds me of the "Insane" buffalo wings that my friend Dan and I tried to finish the other day....mmm, so good...

Aren't tapas great? What they lack up in portions, they make up for in price. :)

So why did your friends go around being Debbie Downers?

Junniper, MPA said...

I don't know, they were all complaining about being tired. I was like, "bitches, I work full time and go to school full time. WAKE UP!" But they all threw in the towel around 11:00.

Luz said...

Crepes sounds YUM! Habaneros! YUCKO! Chocolate Bar-Heavenly! Tapas-Delicioso! Jenniper out on the town for her 25th-Priceless!

AnonymousBlogger said...

Great to hear that you had an awesome bday.

Here Kitty sounds like my kind of drink ;) :|

1 drink at the pub? If you even remember that much of the night, then you clearly didn't drink enough. LOL.

But no, i'm not one to drink in excess myself.

AnonymousBlogger said...

Oh, and the only Debbie Downer episode I saw was the one with Lindsay Lohan when they were at Disneyland. Classic.

Cristina said...

I hope the rest of your year is at least this good! :D

greg said...

You're so old!

ANNNNNDDDDD, Kristi is in Olympia. I'm trying to plan a trip.

Just throwing that out there.

Know of any good bingo halls?