Monday, January 15, 2007

MLK Day

Ugh, back to life as we know it. The students are back to classes today, so you’d think I’d be busy, but I still have nothing to do! But that gives me primo time to post an update.

Sinus recovery is still going well. I had my post-op appointment on Thursday and doc said the healing is going well and that I’m obviously doing my sinus rinse like a good girl. Then I had some blood drawn to check for allergies—he’s pretty convinced that since it was a chronic infection without polyps or tumors or some reason for the fiasco that it must be an allergy issue that has developed in the last couple of years.

Bet you 50 bucks that the lab results will say I’m allergic to mold and/or dust. Now more than ever I’m convinced that it’s the building where I work. But we shall see. I don’t want to jump to conclusions before I know for sure.

But let me tell you about the sinus rinse. I bought it a few months ago (back when I was still optimistic) to hopefully prevent sinus surgery (which obviously didn’t work), but it’s also used post-surgery to clear out the after effects.

It. Is. Disgusting.

Disgusting.

Chunks, people. Big ol clods of mucous and blood. It’s like gross red egg yolks coming out of my nose.







I’ll bet you appreciated that visual, didn’t you?

But every time it comes out, it feels oh so good.

And I bought myself a get-well present.

::::::

This weekend I headed to the coast to put some new feet on my car. She wasn’t in total dire straits for tires, but the time was coming soon and I wanted to do it now while I could afford it.

My dad is a mechanic who owns his own business, so it’s pretty handy. I get a good deal on service for my car, and I know it will be done right. Not to mention, whenever my car makes a funny sound, I just call dad and say “What does this mean?”

So I got new tires and an oil change, and then dad went hog wild and put a new drive axle on her as well as new wiper blades and a new headlight. He’s funny like that. Then the punk wouldn’t let me pay for it!





I am independent to a fault. I know this about myself—I need to learn to rely on people sometimes, but it’s hard for me. I paid my way through school (hell, I still am), and I pay all my own bills and all of that since I was 18. My parents would have helped if they could, but just weren’t financially able to. In the end, that helped me because now I’m self-reliant unlike all (and I do mean all) of my friends whose parents help them pay car payments, car insurance, student loans, rent, and even groceries. It’s a good feeling to know I am taking care of myself and I don’t need my parents to bail me out at the age of 25.

Anyway, enough of that rant. My dad paid for my $600 bill (which is much less for him, really since he got everything at cost) because he said he was never able to help me before. It was really sweet, and I only argued with him a little. He forgot to wash and wax her, though. ;)

::::::

In other news, I started classes last week, and it looks to be an interesting term. In one of my classes I have to do…wait for it…a book report.

Saywhat?

Yes, a bona fide book report that we all did in like the seventh grade. But it gets better. Not only do I have to do a book report, I have to present it in front of the class on an overhead projector. As in one of those old school transparencies also from the seventh grade. This is mandatory—I cannot do PowerPoint.




It’s so retro.

::::::

A/B. I finally saw V for Vendetta and its complete brilliance inspired me to go out and buy a copy of it for myself the very next day.

Brilliant.

4 comments:

Borya said...

Yes, cool movie. And Adam's emotional sidekick N. Portman is starring there.

Cristina said...

Glad to hear you're doing well. We could have done without the graphic explanation of the sinus rinse though :P

AnonymousBlogger said...

Ha ha. Yeah, I watched V for Vendetta with Shawna Saturday night. I always enjoy it. I think some of it went over her head though.

Good price for the whole series of Sex and the City. I expected it to be more. Granted, that is $US not $CAN and I can't do the conversion in my head.

I am still shocked when I go into a University classroom and see an overhead projector. I am even more shocked to hear that you are forced to use one in your presentation. WHAT ABOUT POWERPOINT??? EVERYONE USES IT NOW!!!

madge said...

Maybe it's the whole library thing, but I think overheads are far more charming than PowerPoint presentations. Those slick transparencies? Divine. Especially with color.

Can I do your book report?

;)