Wednesday, January 17, 2007

What's this fluffy white powder?

Portland is snowed in, people.


Now before you northerners scoff at me and say “Hmph! THAT’s not snow. I’ll show you snow,” you must first and foremost remember that I live in Portland, Oregon. We don’t get snow. Occasionally we get freezing rain and when we do get snow it doesn’t stick, and regardless it’s always cleared out in less than a day.


So this ridiculous five inches we got yesterday has completely caught us off guard. The roads are very treacherous, and Oregonians generally can’t drive in conditions like this—we’re just not used to it. And the department of transportation can only do so much—because they’re not used to it, either. And it’s just not going anywhere! It’s so cold out that it’s just…staying. It’s bizarre.

I couldn’t get my car out, so I had to take the bus to work yesterday and today, which is an adventure in itself because they’re all running behind and very slow so it has taken me an hour each time to either get to work or home. And I live two miles away. It’s been quite irritating. And I would just give up and walk home, but the sidewalks aren’t plowed so I’ve almost fallen on my ass multiple times. Not to mention I just had sinus surgery and the cold air hurts like a mo fo.


And can someone please explain to me why we are the ONLY SCHOOL open in the Portland metro area? You’d think our administrators would take that as a hint and think, “Hmm. There must be some reason why everyone is closed…what could it be?” Perhaps that it’s dangerous for your employees to drive into work? It’s so bad that chains were required on the freeways and even the damn mayor told people to stay home? That only half of your employees were even able to make it in?

No, of course not. Instead, they think “Hell no, we won’t go!” and remain open for Round 2 today.

Punks.

::::::

I watched part of the Golden Globes the other night, and was pleased to say that my favorite actor on the only TV show I watch religiously won his second little gold globe. And his acceptance speech was hilarious. Here I will attempt to put it in my post:








I love the line about “newly mown grass.”

He’s so sexy.
And what us up with Beyonce?


Clearly she does not yet understand the difference between music award shows and movie award shows. A music award show calls for slutty showgirl dresses and poses such as this, but movies tend to have a little more class. Next time, less slut, Beyonce.


And Mary-Kate...



For the love of all that is holy. She looks like a ghost. And a strong wind would take her up, up, and away. She used to be such a cute little thing. How the mighty have fallen. I mean, look at her chest! It's awful!!
Yikes.

10 comments:

Diedre said...

May-Kate looks like "Old lady dying"

She still doesn't believe that a person needs a bit of food once in a while, does she?

Tristan Pipo said...

The snow up here in Seattle was an epic battle that was gone in a day. The typical Northwest snow.

Snow.
If it's above a 1/4'' then everyone freaks out and they horde water and get cabin fever and then kill themselves running a propane heater in the house.

When I say everyone I am speaking in general terms. People forget how to drive and slam on their brakes and go driving off the road like an idiot.

Drive a little slower, don't panic and please get out of my way. Feel free to flip me off and call me an idiot but look who gets to work on time.

Though I walk to work so the point is nil anyways. Looks like the Sister City got more snow then we did. But oh well.

As far as Beyonce goes. Slut look sells records. You think anyone buys Britney Spears or that XTina chick because they are good singers?

Yes Mary Kate WTF someone should force feed her some steak. Crazy Celeberity Women and eating disorders.

madge said...

Snow in P-Town! That picture of the Park Blocks is sooooooo pretty. Snow like that only happens once every 10 years (or so it seems), so enjoy!

Even *if* Mary Kate had some meat on her bones...I have a hard time believing she would be attractive. Her hair is so ashamed it's actually running off of her head. Poor thing.

Junniper, MPA said...

Dierdre--yes, it's really awful. I can't stop looking at the picture--it's like a bad car wreck.

Tristan--I agree about the bad drivers. This is one reason I don't drive in weather like this--I don't trust myself not to panic and become a sliding idiot. Not to mention I have liability only on my car so if I crash I'm SOL.

Madge--I love that you knew the picture was of the Park Blocks. Portland is calling you. Come back!

AnonymousBlogger said...

I wont' scoff. 5 inches is a lot of snow, and that much would hinder our city - a city used to snow, and with a fleet of snowplows at the ready.

I can't imagine what kind of chaos it would do to Portland.

Maybe it is a good thing your car is snowed in. Do you really want to be driving? I'm guesssing you don't have snow tires (and maybe haven't even heard of such things! ;) )

Hugh Laurie is awesome and deserves any awards that come his way.

MK is far too skinny. Even for me. I wouldn't do it.

Adam Solomon said...

Actually, it's anthrax.

Matt Black said...

Yikes, she does look like a ghost. Scary.

Cristina said...

The Olsen twins used to be so cute. Now they're quite scary. And this girl should take a look at herself and realise that just because people can count your ribs (and the rest of your bones) doesn't mean you're 'sexy'. Terrible.

Lucky you! I want snow too.

Luz said...

He so funny! Laughing at Adam! YOur man @ the Golden Globes was kinda sexy but let's hear it for America...the Beautiful! As a Latina, I've never been so prouder! About darn time!

Junniper, MPA said...

Luz--amen to that! I love American Ferrera. Unfortunately, her show is on a night when I have class! But I loved her in Real Women Have Curves and Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants.