Thursday, December 07, 2006

Is that mistletoe I see?

Just one more reason not to eat fast food, people.

::::::::::::::::::::::

I am officially one term into my master’s program. Last night was my last night of class until January. And I would just like to throw myself a Badass Party because I plowed through it with almost no complaining (other than annoying group members), even though I have been working full time and dealing with my never-ending nasal ailment.

*applause*



“Thank you, thank you.”

I know I’m getting at least one A, and I’m pretty sure (fingers crossed) that I’ll have an A in my financial management class, but it depends on the final group paper & presentation we did last night. My weekend class that I could not stand—I have no idea. The whole grade is based on one paper which I turned in last week, so I have zero idea what kind of grade I’ll get in there. But as long as it’s passing, I don’t care! :)

So next term I am taking Human Resource Management in the Public Sector, Administrative Theory (I heart theory), and Advocacy Roles in Public Management. So it should be a good second term. But not until January, baby!

::::::::::::::::::::::::

I have a dilemma. A job opportunity crossed my path yesterday, and it’s pretty much a job I would kill for. It’s working on the staff of one of the Multnomah County Commissioners(!!!). But the timing is horrible, because the job would start in January, which is a bad month because not only am I having surgery but I’ll be starting my new term. I just don’t know what to do! I mean, the likelihood that I would actually get the job is pretty low, anyway, but it’s such an opportunity! It would almost give me an “in” for campaign management or running for public office. But the timing! Oh, woe is me. Condundrum!


Edit 12/7 3:15pm: I noticed in the job announcement that one of the application requirements is a copy of a press release I have written. Obviously, I have never written a press release (which I have no doubt I could do well). I called the woman in charge of hiring for the position, who was very nice, and said that it is a firm requirement, so I can't be considered without it. So there goes that. But she told me to keep an eye out for additional openings in a couple of months. He's a new commissioner, so he'll probably hire more staff as the year goes. I'll keep you posted. ;) But thanks for your positive remarks!!



::::::::::::::::::::::::::

But I leave you with this—a hilarious cartoon from Baby Blues that had me laughing for at least five minutes:

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on finishing your first term! That's exciting. You really ought to throw yourself a badass party...

And you should apply for the job!

Tristan Pipo said...

Apply for the job. Compress the Coal long enough you will get a diamond.

Anonymous said...

I see no reason NOT to apply for the job. If you get it great. If you don't get it, then oh well, you still have another job so no worries.

Starting a new job, new classes, and surgery might be a a bit much, and that does worry me a bit. Still, if anyone can pull it off, I'm sure you can.

Who knows when another opportunity like this will come along...

Anonymous said...

Yeah, why not go for it?

Junniper, MPA said...

I noticed in the job announcement that one of the application requirements is a copy of a press release I have written. Obviously, I have never written a press release (which I have no doubt I could do well). I called the woman in charge of hiring for the position, who was very nice, and said that it is a firm requirement, so I can't be considered without it. So there goes that. But she told me to keep an eye out for additional openings in a couple of months. He's a new commissioner, so he'll probably hire more staff as the year goes. I'll keep you posted. ;) But thanks for your positive remarks!!

Adam Solomon said...

Oh my God, not the Multnomah County Commissioners!!

bella said...

Congrats!! Hope all goes well with the surgery. Too bad about the job, but hey you made a contact :)