Thursday, July 13, 2006

Is it Friday yet?

I recently decided to re-read all the Harry Potter books (I mean, it’s been years since I read Sorcerer’s Stone). I’ve gotten through the first two already, and as I was reading I kept getting more and more annoyed at the things they altered or cut out of the movie versions.


I know it’s asking a lot to be totally faithful to a novel, but sometimes the changes are just outright annoying. Like little details that have no merit in changing. For example, Dudley is supposed to be blonde. Or in Chamber of Secrets when the Phoenix heals Harry’s arm after the Basilisk gets him—the book does it in front of Tom Riddle, but the movie waits until Harry has “killed” Tom Riddle. Or when Harry stuffs the diary in his sock to give to Malfoy in the book, but in the film the sock is inside the diary.

It’s just annoying.

ANYWAY.

In other news, I was horrified by this story. The kid is sixteen. He has every right to decide what treatments he receives. Furthermore, he has the support of his parents, who would make the executive decision anyway. Total and complete bullshit. For a country that goes on and on about freedom, we are certainly restricted within our own lives. We don’t have the right to die if we’re suffering, you can’t get married if you’re gay, they’re trying to ban flag burning. We are seriously going backward. Let’s just go on back to the days where women couldn’t vote. It’s embarrassing.

OK, rant over.

I challenge you to do this quiz about me. I’ll admit, the questions are tough. And you can’t cheat and look back through my old posts to find the answers because, well, they were eaten by the Internet. These are all things I’ve talked about on my blog at some point. And yes, I’ll admit most of them you’ll probably say “Huh? Like I know!” But I promise I won’t judge, AND here’s a free invite to make one yourself!

7 comments:

AnonymousBlogger said...

I don't like strangers telling me what to do, and if I was that boy, or his parents, I'd be pissed. Lets let the people who matter most (the boy and his parents) me the decisions.

How long will it take for the country to recover from the overhaul Bush and his crew are doing on the US of A?

I got 60% on the quiz. I think I got the ones I should have.

Junniper, MPA said...

How long will it take for the country to recover from the overhaul Bush and his crew are doing on the US of A?

I don't even want to think about it!

AnonymousBlogger said...

They seem to have so much power now, I wonder if a Democrat in the WH will even make a big enough differece.

Still, the Dems need to gain power and stay there for more than a couple terms. It looks like they have a shot, with Bush's popularity so low, but I guess it will come down to who both teams pick as their leaders.

There might not be this mess if Gore wasn't running in '00. Not to blame it on him, because he probably would have won if Jeb wasn't running the show in the disputed state.

Adam Solomon said...

I totally agree about the cancer thing! That's just scary. Mind you, by the way, this may be the first (and last) time our Jenniper ever agrees with Sean Hannity (who had this boy on his show last night) (don't ask why I was watching that) (I think the man is an ignorant schmuck) (Hannity, not the kid with cancer).

Adam Solomon said...

I got 40% but I love you more than A/B anyway so what evs.

Just Me said...

Hey...I got 60%....

bella said...

I don't like the movies because not only do they miss many of the details you mentioned, but they totally ignore big stuff too. I only saw the first movie in the theatre and the rest I saw on dvd. Love the books. Maybe I'll read them again too :)