Monday, August 14, 2006

Baby, light my fire...

Alright, Bob will not effing give it up. I have decided I’m going to put Cayenne pepper in the squirt bottle. I figure this way, if I get the little bugger with the water, he’ll have to lick it off and maybe it’ll put a fire in his ass to stay away from my window!

I’ll keep you updated on Adventures with Bob.

In other news, the Bite of Oregon was this weekend, and while Snow Patrol couldn’t make it through security in London (no idea why not), it will still fun. I got a lovely souvenir wine glass which I used to taste many fabulous Oregon wines. I also got an Oregon vineyard and winery guide, so I sense a field trip coming up!

*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*

A good friend of mine is serving in the Peace Corps in Panama. I’m going to send a care package to him, and I need to see if I’ve missed something important! I asked him if there was anything in particular he wanted, and there was, so I added those to the list. He’s in a very very rural area. A lot of people around him speak Spanish, but there’s also a tribal language he’s learning.

I thought about going into the Peace Corps after college. I also thought about applying for a Fulbright, but in the end, I decided I just really needed a break from studying & adventures. And although I’m extremely glad I decided to take some time off, hearing about his adventures does give me a few pangs of jealousy! :) But he’s very good about sending me postcards and keeping me updated on his adventures, so it won’t hurt to live vicariously through him for a while. And I keep him updated on worldly news while he’s away, so it works out well.

I actually met him while I was studying abroad in Ecuador-we were gallivanting around the country for five months, it was great! He’s actually from Delaware, so I haven’t seen him since we left in May of ’03, but we’ve kept in touch all this time.

Anyway, so this is the list of things he asked for:

Huy Fong Sriracha Sauce (apparently it’s some fabulous Thai sauce)
A cookbook
A big map of the U.S.
A picture of me
Connect Four (the game!)

I added the following after some thought and some Internet browsing:

Time & Newsweek magazines (from the last few weeks anyway)
A couple of books (I haven’t decided which yet)
Instant Gatorade (the powdered kind in case he gets sick)
A jar of Oregon jam
A t-shirt from Portland State Univ.
Some Peanut M&Ms
Marshmallows
Ziploc Bags

Anything else you’d want if you were cut off from civilization? I mean, obviously I’ll probably send other packages eventually, so if I forget something, I can always add it later.

And you’re probably thinking Ziploc bags is a weird choice, but I was surfing Peace Corps sites and blogs and message boards, and apparently Ziploc bags are like gold for some reason. Weird, huh?

On a final note, I just have to add this picture. It's one I've gotten back from before the wedding when I was getting my hair tortured done. No wonder it took me 30 minutes and half a bottle of conditioner to get the tangles out...

I swear I'm under there somewhere...

[I just noticed it kind of looks like I have a black eye in this pic, but it's just my hair in my face!]

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

A "good friend" eh? I see how it is.

He wants a picture of you?

GO FOR IT JUNNIPER.

Ah, you don't know how long I've been waiting to say that.

I could see ziplock bags coming in handy. Keeps the water, dirt, bugs out of your food/clothing.

I guess sending

AnonymousBlogger said...

A "good friend" eh? I see how it is.

He wants a picture of you?

GO FOR IT JUNNIPER.

Ah, you don't know how long I've been waiting to say that.

I could see ziplock bags coming in handy. Keeps the water, dirt, bugs out of your food/clothing.

I guess sending him a Hustler might be too much. But come on, he'd appreciate it.

Send him lots of candy. He will be a god there.

AnonymousBlogger said...

What the hell is up with the double post? It didn't even post the first one correctly.

Junniper, MPA said...

What--you act like I've said "Go for it" to you before or something. ;)

warcrygirl said...

Oh my, I'm afraid my cat Gizmo has been guilty of that behavior in the neighborhood. First it was the cat across the street...now it's the next-door neighbor's girlfriend's cat. Oy. Let me know if the hot sauce works; I'll let my neighbors know. Hey, it beats having him inside all yowly and stuff.

AnonymousBlogger said...

Seriously, we need an update on this mystery man.

Adam Solomon said...

You're welcome....

:)

Cristina said...

Ooh, whatever you finally put in that package I'm sure he'll be more than grateful! You'rre a great friend.

We were in London in the midst of all the foiled plot stuff and it was a weird mixture of feelings we got. I did manage to smuggle my eyedrops past security though...

Luz said...

Love the hair! You got styling 4 sure!