Thursday, August 16, 2007

Times, they are a-changin'

It’s kind of strange to think I’ll only be at my job for less than two weeks. I’m finally leaving the library world…and it’s strange. My first job in high school was at a library, and then I was a work study student in college at a library, and now here I am post-college in a library. Other than one summer working at a resort, all I know is libraries. I will say, I’m glad to be leaving. I don’t mind library work, but it can get monotonous. Not to mention unless you have an MLS there’s no way to move up, and there’s little opportunity for leadership.

So here I go, on a new quest.



I can’t really get into the details of my new job, unfortunately. Because I will be working for a specific organization, I don’t want to write about it on a blog—that’s just not a good idea.

So the best way I can describe it is that I am working for a public agency dedicated to improving city life. I’ll start out at entry level, and hopefully as I gain experience and finished my master’s degree, I’ll move on up. I could see myself staying with this organization for a career—but it’s a premature decision since I haven’t been exposed to the culture yet. But either way, it’s a great experience and I am P-U-M-P-E-D.

It’s nice to think I’ll finally be in my career field. What a lovely thought! And I get a pretty substantial increase in pay from what I’m making at the library (thank GOD). Hello, new tax bracket!



I’m also happy to say I won’t need to move to a different part of town because where I am is perfect for getting to work. I won’t be driving because it is located in a downtown area where parking is big buck$. Luckily, there’s a bus that pretty much picks me up at my door and drops me off at work! I love Tri-Met. There is seriously no greater city transportation system out there. It has won national awards, people.

Show some love for MAX:



I will say the blogging will probably slow because while I have no qualms blogging at a job where I’m sitting with nothing to do half the time like here at the library, I won’t blog at my new job. I’ll be a busy bee, and it’s also a little different when your salary is paid by the public. But I will update on evenings and weekends when I can!

Countdown on!

5 comments:

Luz said...

Congrats on the new job. It's nice to finally get a job in your chosen career. While it has its ups and downs, I love my job and today marks my 3rd year in my new career and I have no regrets. I hope your career birngs you joy as mine does me.

Adam Solomon said...

Congrats! Prepare for an e-mail asking for details about your new job.

Adam Solomon said...

Also, having your salary paid for by the public is great. I did that for a couple of years when I was in astro research. I loved taxpayer cookies at Starbucks. My inner libertarian (inner, all-consuming libertarian) felt a bit guilty, but then again, that was just my way of getting back my money the government stole from me (oh, well, my parents), so I suppose that helps the guilt ;)

AnonymousBlogger said...

I'm excited that you're so excited. Sounds like the perfect job for what you plan to do in your future.

Too bad blogging will slow down. And what will happen to Recycle Guy?

madge said...

You escaped the library world! Jealous! :)

Your new job sounds really wonderful...which is funny because as we lose one connection we gain another (maybe). I used to pursue a MURP. I heart city life. Such a Portland thing. :)

Good luck & congratulations!