Friday, May 04, 2007

Where are the May flowers?

Oh, they're hiding from the rain.

The days are filled with boredom here at work…the students have finished the semester and there is only so much internet you can surf, you know?

If you were a real friend, you’d go post something entertaining on your blog.

In the interest of time-wasting, I came upon a South Park Character Creator and envisioned myself as follows:



Had a hard time choosing the right hair…none of them really encompassed my style.

My best friend is graduating tomorrow, so it’s party time. She has struggled her way through school, and she’s finally earned her teaching degree. She had a rough start back in 2000 and got a little too much into the social scene at college. She took a year off, and then went to community college. She finally transferred to Portland State and completed her bachelor’s degree in December ‘05. Her transcripts weren’t great considering her rough start, so she had to fight to get into an MAT program…but it paid off, and she was accepted. She’s a good illustration of what happens when you’re finally doing something you love: she went from a 2.5 in undergrad to a 4.0 as a graduate student. Even though she doesn’t read this blog (or even know that it exists), I’m proud of her.



It’s 3:00 and I have nothing to do. This is baaaaad. It’s only going to get worse next week. Too bad I can’t bring in my homework!

So in the interest of keeping busy, I have been having waaaaay too much fun with Google Satellite Maps.

Here, you can see my hood. I live somewhere within this grid, but it's a secret:



Here, you can see one of my favorite downtown buildings...the Urban Center at Portland State. Also where I spend much of my graduate school time--



Then I found the 'hood where I grew up--



And hey! There's the house I lived in during college! I used to mow that lawn, y'all:



Then I got to thinking...I wonder if they have satellite images of Quito (where I spent five glorious months back in '03)



That was my house!!! (Bottom arrow). The top arrow is where I sat drinking coffee at my favorite internet cafe. Also where I got a bus to go to school...Hey! Can I find my school?!



Entirely too much fun, people. Satellite images are just the right mix of cool and creepy.

And I know this is mean, but laughed when I read this. Do you think she'll actually go?

4 comments:

Cristina said...

Those are great. I have yet to try Google Earth, but with my connection is simply not possible. It's great from what I've seen.

And congrats to your friend!

AnonymousBlogger said...

Google satalie maps seems interesting. I'm going to have to give it a try.

It's too bad that work is leaving you bored, but that should only mean more blog updates.

I think Paris will actually go. Hopefully it will be a kick in the ass for her, and she will stay out of trouble.

Luz said...

I highly doubt she'll go! UNLESSS, she seeks more publicity, which wouldn't surprise me at all!
She did look pretty shocked & pathetic though! I'm just sick about reading of her all over the news! THERE are more important things in the world to read about!

Tristan Pipo said...

Hmm I feel like I am stalking you. But you are forcing the stalking upon your blog readers.

Now you just need a twitter account to complete the circle.