Tuesday, May 29, 2007

Arrrrrrrr!

I have a bone to pick.

I don’t understand what is up with all the bad reviews of the latest Pirates movie. I went and saw it on Friday, and I thought it was bloody brilliant. Perhaps not as good as the first, but better than the second.

I’ve heard from several people I know that they didn’t like the movie. It was just about a bunch of pirates fighting, yada yada yada.

What were you expecting? Rocket science?



The formal “critics” are cracking me up most of all, of course. First, there’s the argument that it didn’t make enough money. $401 million worldwide over four days seems like a lot ‘o money to me! But what do I know, I’m one of those silly people that actually liked the movie. ;)

The weirdest argument of all, though, is that several critics have been saying the movie was hard to follow. What brainiacs do they have critiquing these films? Everyone has different taste, so if you don’t like it, you don’t like it, but what was there to follow? Pirates fight, pirates win, pirates lose, pirates fight some more, boy gets girl, etc. Once again, not rocket science. Perhaps they didn’t see the first two so they didn’t know what was going on? It’s not like the eleventy million Halloween movies where it doesn’t matter if you see them in order. It’s a trilogy, man. It would be like watching Lord of the Rings: the Two Towers without bothering to watch the other two.

Who knows. That’s my pointless doesn’t-really-matter opinion for the day.

Needless to say, I will be seeing the next installment (which they are saying may be a prequel).

::::::

My brain is fried. I’ve got three weeks left until I’m done with school for the summer, and I’m pretty sure I’ve got gray matter leaking outta my ears. I hope that’s not the part I need.

I am So. Done. writing about administrative theories and ethics and planning and blah de blah blah blah. I can honestly say this is the worse term I have had. I mean, the other two terms I had only one class I didn’t like, but this time, all three are just crap. I think it’s probably a good thing that I’ve decided not to take summer courses.

I need a vacation! And I get one in three weeks! Hallelujah!

Happy Dance!


::::::

In other news, this disturbs me slightly because that’s the contact lense solution I use! And I’m 99% sure my bottles aren’t among the recalled ones (I’ll make sure when I get home), but it still makes me want to switch brands, that’s for sure! Unfortunately, I just bought this two-pack of big bottles, and I don’t want to just toss them because that stuff’s not cheap!


Sigh.

It’s hard to be me! ;)

9 comments:

Cristina said...

Can you believe I've only seen about 15 minutes of the first Pirates movie? That's all I've ever seen of any of them.

How are you doing with the contacts? Are you all used to them by now?

Tristan Pipo said...

Rotten Tomatoes - Pirates Reviews

This site is pretty cool they collect all the reviews they can find and average it out. 47% for this film is an F.

Now it's not a movie I would pay to see again. I went to the 10:20 showing on a Friday night. I think the theater forgot about Air Conditioning and it was 95 in the theater from my guessing.

So you have people in a room sweating for 3 hours to a movie we are growing impatient with because it keeps dragging on and on for no damn good reason. The movie could have been cut down to 95 mins tops and accomplished what they needed to in the beginning which is nothing really. Except opening up for the next film.

If this film was supposed to be a middle like Empire Strikes Back was to the Star Wars it failed in that regard not making me want to see the next film.

Though one of the last scenes where the dude is feeling up Keira's leg. That was probably the only worthwhile moment in the film.

Junniper, MPA said...

Yeah, but see you haven't seen the first two and you fell asleep during the second, so really...you don't know what you're saying. FOOL! (Did that come off as gangsta? Cuz I was trying) :)

I think it's just a matter of taste. I loved it, and didn't want it to end. I also had a pleasant atmosphere...cozy chair, pizzicato pizza, a cold brewsky, and some Junior Mints. Not to mention I only paid $3.75 to get in.

Tristan Pipo said...

So while I was on the ferry this morning the latests Ask A Ninja was on my iPod. The Ninja that knows all had a great review of the film.

Ask a Ninja - Pirates Review
AskANinja.com Backup Link in Case the First one Doesn't Work so Well

=)

Junniper, MPA said...

OK, Ninja man has got some issues! Brotha needs a chill pill!

And his review is automatically disqualified because he has also stated that the plotline is confusing. It's not confusing! What is there to confuse??

:)

Luz said...

I've yet to see Pirates 2 but it's on my list just as the new is. Someday! Still trying to catch up with Spiderman and Shrek as well.

Matt Black said...

I didn't see the second one, just the first Pirates movie. I thought this one was great. I really enjoyed it. I don't get why they say the plot was confusing there was much to it. It's really more character driven than plot driven, which totally works because there are amazingly deep and interesting characters in this series.

Now, it wasn't the best movie I've ever seen, but it was very enjoyable.

Matt Black said...

wasn't*

AnonymousBlogger said...

I was mildy disappointed the Pirates 3. It should have made up for the really shitty 2nd one, but it didn't. Granted, it was better than the 2nd, but not enough. I'll see the 4th one when it comes out, but only because I feel like I should because I've seen the first three.