Tuesday, November 28, 2006

Bad news, girls.



Chivalry is dead.

Or at least suffering from sort of debilitating virus. It’s quite tragic, really.

A few days ago I was downtown after the Macy’s Holiday Parade (nothing like New York’s of course). My little brother and sister were in it, so I had to drag my butt out of bed to go watch it, of course.

So I part ways with my parents and decide to head home, and as I pull out of the parking garage, I feel a funny dragging with my car.




Sonufa…

Flat tire. Flat flat flat. I must have run over something in the garage.

So I pull over to the side, and flip on my emergency flashers. I get out my spare, my jack, and my lugnut wrench to get to work.

Just my luck, I can’t get my jack up. My guess is that it’s just tight from not being used for so long. I mean, I haven’t used it since I got the car almost two years ago. So the punk was too tight for me to loosen.

So I call the fam to see if they’re still downtown so I can enlist the help of my step-dad. They are, but they had just ordered lunch so they’d have to eat it real quick and then come down.

So I waited there on the corner of Broadway and Washington waiting…and waiting. For 30 minutes.

Many a strapping young lad & capable looking men (and women) walked by…and not one damn person said a word to me. I mean come on, is this not a damsel in distress moment? I was sure to look distraught in need of assistance, and still nothing. Nada. Zilch.

I mean, there were four guys having coffee directly across the street from me at Seattle’s Best. Could they not spare a few minutes and help me get my jack loose? (K, that sounded kind of risqué).

But seriously?

Must I do something drastic like this?





Puleeeze.

So guys, if you see a damsel in distress, help her out, will you?

9 comments:

Dave said...

you'd be surprised how many guys have no idea how to change a tire...maybe they were all too embarrassed to try?

Tristan Pipo said...

Perhaps not dead. Changing a tire is not such a big deal. I've stopped to change many a tire. But getting out of my car and some rather tall dude approaching you with a deep voice can be a bit scary for said Damsel in distress.

I have pulled over when I had my girlfriend in the car to change a womans tire while it was raining since I was heading home and would appreciate the favor. She was rather pissed that I was helping someone strange that had a vagina and I think that caused girlfriend to go into threatened/jealous mode.

I just try to spread the good vibe and hopefully it might pay off one day.

People are stupid. Men are crazy say others. Maybe you were not distressed enough. Flutter your eyes. Most men are easy to manipulate for such things.

Chivalry is not dead but I think most woman don't appreciate it. Some tend to think that "Oh we don't need men we are strong and independent and want to be equal" but then there is that secret desire that they want a man for some things.

Females are complicated. I gave up trying to understand their logic because it's different then my logic. I appreciate them for being themselves and just ask the same in return.

If your in Seattle and your tire goes flat give me a jingle I will be there in a Jif like the peanut butter.

Junniper, MPA said...

Dave -- It's entirely possible, I suppose!

Tristan -- You make a good point. But I am one to appreciate chivalry, especially if it's genuine and not one of those "you're a woman, so you can't do this." One of my requirements for a man is that he should know that I can do it myself, but he should still offer to do it for me. Silly? Yes. Too complicated? Maybe. But hey, a girl wants what a girl wants! :)

Anonymous said...

I can proudly say that I know how to change a tire, and in fact, have in the past.

I will also assure you that when I see a young lady in need of help, I will do so.

Adam Solomon said...

I would have helped you!

Wait, you said you did something drastic like that, right?

For what it's worth, I always open doors for ladies, and I rarely make chauvenistic comments in their presence.

Luz said...

Ditto on what Dave said! I've had two flats in the past three months but thankfully I wasn't too far from home or rather my dad's place and together we changed the flats. However, them lugs can be a bitch! BTW, love the pic!!

Cristina said...

Perhaps all men have turned into extreme feminists :P

Anonymous said...

This is what I think: the boys in Portland are too emo; I don't think they know how to change tires. But they can sport skinny pants like no other brother.

You should probably move to Gresham.

(Wink wink, of course.)

Anonymous said...

Yeah, Tristan has a good point. Women have made it hard on men. Some appreciate it, some don't. Some women are insulted because it implies that they can't do it, others think it makes a man look weak (because he's bending over backwards for her). Some women don't like it because they think a man is only doing these things for them because he wants "something."

If had been 1955, you probably would have had your tire changed by a guy in a matter of minutes. However, along with that whole mindset comes all of the things that the feminist movement sought to change about society.