Monday, September 18, 2006

Evil Shenanigans

A crime has been committed against humanity.

Starbucks bought Coffee People.

Is nothing sacred anymore?! Will that effing mermaid stop at nothing to rule the world?!


I am officially one of those annoying people who won’t drink Starbucks. I could ignore the pod people who work there, their questionable overseas policies, and their somewhat burnt-tasting coffee for the sake of convenience, but pretty soon all we’ll have are Starbuckses. I don’t like they’re let’s-buy-all-the-competition shenanigans. Evil shenanigans!


On an even more irritating note, I’m still sick. The antibiotics didn’t work, which leads me to believe that whatever infection I may have is actually viral. This is bad. We’re going on 8 weeks now. I’m going to try and see my doctor this week. I’m not going back to Urgent Care. You sit in the lobby for three hours, then another 20 minutes in the exam room, and then you’re in the presence of a doctor for 5 minutes, tops. I’m not leaving until they give me a definitive answer and some advice on how to avoid this BS. This is the third time I’ve been sick like this in ’06. Grrrr.


In happier news, the Race for the Cure was on Saturday, which is a zoo, but it’s always fun. And statistically, either I or someone I love will get breast cancer, so I’ll do what I can now for it! Although I have to admit—I’m really hoping that by the time I’m 40 and have to start doing mammograms, someone will have come up with a better method than the Squish-Em-Down-Now-I-Really-Need-a-Wonderbra machine. Please. Someone out there, I beg you.



Um, no, not quite what I had in mind.



I also went out to the Pumpkin Patch to check out the first Fall fruits and veggies. Beautiful bounty of squash (yum!), corn, pears, apples, plums, and much more! I love the Patch. And their prices are increĆ­ble.

Mmmm…Squtternut Bash.



Also, having read Sundry Mourning’s latest blogs about Geocaching, my interest is peaked. Methinks I’m going to have to get myself a cheap GPS thingy (or find someone who has one), because there are a TON near me! What a fun, dorky little adventure!



T-Minus 7 days until I start school. Zoinks!

6 comments:

Luz said...

"...that effing mermaid" has me rolling over here! Sorry to hear bout your lingering infection. THat is certainly no fun. THAT mammagram thing! Been there! Done That! On my first visit..."you want to put those where?" Ever since that dreadful day gravity has definitely taken over! :-(

AnonymousBlogger said...

Eariler in the week I told myself I wanted to start drinking Starbucks. Because then I'd be all cool. Now, I may have to change that plan.


I know you're fighting bronchitis, but when cold season comes, I have just the thing for you. It's called Cold FX. I don't know if it's sold down there. It was invented in Edmonton a few years ago. It helps fight colds. I took some this morning. I was feeling sick. I feel great now. Could be more because of the hug from Megan, but more likely it's the pills.

I can't wait for you to start school. I'm so excited.

Cristina said...

Heh, your views on Starbucks are so different to mine! But then again, I haven't had much choice. I mean, I love it because it's something unique over here, but that's not the case for you, who had... your Coffee People.

I can't believe you're still unwell - that's such a long time now :( Kick it out!

Victor said...

Ugh, that's some sad "effing mermaid" news! One of the things I loved in Portland was The Coffee People! Maybe Coffee People won't change much, but soon every coffee you buy will be supporting the mermaid machine. Somebody should start a coffee shop called "Rage Against the Mermaid"! (or not)

Hope you get feeling better! Sometimes I think what doctors do is amazing, sometimes I think they're just guessing. Match the pill to the symptom and send you on your way. Well, maybe their next guess will be a better one.

Enjoy your return to school. That's really exciting!

Borya said...

No coffee chain for me (Cristina knows that :)), I love the small shops, truely Italian if possible. But in my country we are left out by most of the chains thankfully...

bella said...

Note to self: anytime you need a laugh, come to this blog!