Monday, June 18, 2007

Music To My Ears

Here’s a little-known fact about Junniper.

I love opera. Nothing beats a great dinner, followed by a night of opera, and then drinks afterward.

I haven’t been able to see many of them, but my current favorite is Carmen. I just love the sets, the actors and actresses who have this amazing talent.



I also like to just listen to the music of operas—Pavarotti is one of my favorites. Favorite song within an opera? Hands-down “Nessun Dorma” from Puccini’s Turandot.

When my friend sent me a link to the following video, I was more than a little concerned. It’s just not OK to ruin things like Nessun Dorma and I was concerned this guy was going to kill it. It’s like when people other than the Righteous Brothers try to sing “Unchained Melody.” Not OK.

So I watched the video:



The little hairs on my arm stood up a little. No, he wasn’t perfect, but it was still beautiful! I was amazed, really. So I did a little YouTube searching for this Paul Potts character, and evidently he won “Britain’s Got Talent.”

I came upon another performance of his:



Seriously. With some training, this guy is going to be brilliant.



PS: I submitted my first new job application. The search is on!! [scary]

2 comments:

Cristina said...

You love opera? My boyfriend does too and though I cope with it better than I thought I would still some sopranos sort of unhinge me.

Good luck job-hunting! I will be on the same boat in a few weeks.

Oh, and in case I don't get to stop around here before you leave for Alaska: HAVE FUN!!

Lauren said...

I had this really crappy job once. Every Saturday I had to work so I would take a radio because on the classical station they play opera all Saturday. Every hour they would break and tell you the story line.