Friday, July 13, 2007

"Dumbledore's got style."

I’m going to do a short little review of the film version of Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix. If you haven’t seen it, or don’t care to read my thoughts, go no further!


.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

OK. So I went and saw the movie last night. And I did love it, but I had some minor qualms.

First of all, I do want to say I think this director did very well overall—the opening scene was fantastic and really demonstrated the sweltering sadness. The lighting was perfect—the scene where Harry & “Big D” are running through the grass was great. And who know Dudley could run so fast? ;)

BUT. It felt rushed. I know it’s impossible to fit that phenomenal book into a movie without losing some of the fabulousness, but there was just so much important stuff missing! The incident with Mr. Weasley wasn’t explained very well. The Occlumency exercises felt boring, and the scene with the younger Snape was rushed and not explained, either!

But most importantly, the ending seemed pretty anticlimactic. I mean, HELLO, Sirius dies, and it was just like “eh, it happened.” It moved on so suddenly that it wasn’t even sad. And in the book it was SAD! I think I cried. And if I remember right, in the book Bellatrix makes him sort of fall into the archway, whereas in the movie she actually does the Avada Kadavra spell. What up with that?

I will say this, however. Imelda Staunton was fantastic as Umbridge. Absolutely perfect. There were several times I just wanted to reach into the screen and stab her in the forehead with Harry’s wand. And the girl playing Luna Lovegood was great, too—she definitely got the character down.

And the scene where they’re flying on broomsticks through London: magic.

Grade: B
Thoughts?

5 comments:

Cristina said...

I really liked it too! What bothers me is how they keep changing stuff from film to film. Like the fireplace conversations (I forget the correct name) which are depicted differently.

I guess they count on the fact that 90% of the audience will know the book pretty well and will follow the film. And perhaps if you don't know what they're skipping you don't really miss it.

My least favourite part was, as you say, the ending after Sirius dies. I did cry reading the book and I wanted to see Harry's rage and Dumbledore's explanation. I don't like comparing films to the books they're based on and scan them word for word but I was really disappointed by that.

Also the way Sirius is killed. I guess it would have meant too much time to try and explain the veil but yes, I was expecting the real thing as well.

Didn't you love Helena Bonham Carter as Bellatrix though? And I heartily agree about Imelda Staunton and the Luna Lovegood girl. They were brilliant. Actually I think the whole cast was incredibly good.

Only one week to go until the last and final book! (And in your case, a wedding too :P)

Adam Solomon said...

Hmm, so I haven't seen much of the films, but I just saw the 5th and was pretty disappointed, actually. My issues were basically the same as yours. It didn't feel like a movie, so much as a rushed collection of snippets of the book. Take a few pages, make them into a movie, skip a chapter, and repeat. It's what you get for condensing an 870 page book into a two hour movie. They didn't need to make it that short, though: it was the shortest movie of the five, so they really have no excuse. They should have lengthened it a half hour or so, maybe pruned a few scenes, and then really developed the scenes that were left: plot and character development were very much lacking in this movie.

Anyway, it seems the book (or at least a good portion of it) has leaked, so I'm spending most of this week avoiding human contact, particularly online, while I finish re-reading the 6th book (I've been re-reading all 6 :D).

Hope life's well! I'll start reading the blog again, now that I kinda sorta have time.

PS Oh God, oh God, I'm so excited. SO excited.

Borya said...

Raed HP7 but haven't watch HP5 yet. Will soon, I hope (But I don't mind spoilers anyway.) I always approached the movies without expectation because it'll be an impossible thing to do such fantasy books justice. But then, most people seemed to be satisfied with how Jackson transformed LOFR, right?, and it was considered impossible to be turned into a movie as well.........

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Hi,

I keep coming to this website[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url]junni-per.blogspot.com really contains lot of useful information. Do you pay attention towards your health?. Let me show you one truth. Recent Research shows that closely 50% of all USA adults are either fat or weighty[url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips].[/url] So if you're one of these people, you're not alone. Its true that we all can't be like Brad Pitt, Angelina Jolie, Megan Fox, and have sexy and perfect six pack abs. Now the question is how you are planning to have quick weight loss? [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss[/url] is not like piece of cake. You need to improve some of you daily habbits to achive weight loss in short span of time.

About me: I am webmaster of [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/lose-10-pounds-in-2-weeks-quick-weight-loss-tips]Quick weight loss tips[/url]. I am also health trainer who can help you lose weight quickly. If you do not want to go under hard training program than you may also try [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/acai-berry-for-quick-weight-loss]Acai Berry[/url] or [url=http://www.weightrapidloss.com/colon-cleanse-for-weight-loss]Colon Cleansing[/url] for effortless weight loss.