Thursday, October 05, 2006

Mae West, I am not.



Is that a pistol in your pocket, or are you just glad to see me?

Apparently, I have forgotten how to flirt.

Hot Recycling Guy came in today to get the recycling. If you remember from a previous post, I was annoyed that he had been sending his minions to get my recycling because then I couldn't check him out. Well today, he came in.

He comes in my building to get the recycled bottles or to drop off recycling containers and that sort of thing, and whenever he walks by my office, he always smiles and waves. And he doesn't even acknowledge anyone else here, people. So I figure, OK, that's a good start. I even tested it once. I saw him coming, so I was sure to be "working" when he walked by my office.

People: He stopped outside my door and waited until I looked up so he could smile and say hi.

I mean come on.

So naturally I figure I need to get it together and turn on the charm today. So he comes in to get my paper recycling and I start up a conversation--

"Hi Sean, how's it going?"

"Fine." Silence.

OK...that wasn't the best start. Strike One.

"I haven't seen you in here in a while."

"Yeah, my student workers are falling behind because they keep calling in sick, so now I have to do it."

"Oh..."

Alright, now it's really not going well. Strike two. Apparently Grumpy McGrumpterton has inhabited his body. But I'll try again. They recently got new uniform things to wear at work, I'll try that!

"So these are the new duds, huh?"

"Yeah, we all have to wear them now, it's mandatory."

Silence.

"OK, well thanks."

"Yeah."

OK, what the hell?! I know I have not been imagining the coy looks and flirtatious comments in days past. And I mean come on, I was commenting on his clothing. Is that not a clear indication of "HELLO! I'M CHECKING YOU OUT!" ???

But I'm a stubborn ass so I don't give up. I time it right so I "have to take the mail over" when he's leaving the building. I've never been good at that girly stuff, but shit, man, I made a point to walk by him. Isn't that what girls do? And nothing. Strike Three.

Damn.

A/B, next time you have one of your International Guys-Named-Sean Meetings, would you have a chat with him, please?

13 comments:

Tristan Pipo said...

It doesn't seem like it was you at all. It was more of a thing where he was having a bad day and unless you were getting naked nothing could really spark anything.

But if you are going on looks alone he may not be that deep of a person you know. As they say water seeks it's own level.

Perhaps it was just a bad day for him. Sounds like he likes you but then again guys tend to not realize what is going on.

I am one to prefer. The bluntness so I understand what is going on but never such luck.

I could say that women are complex but then women say the same about men. We are all humans. We all think. We are all very odd. We are all beyond comprehension.

You have to accept that and then things tend to be seen in a different light.

Cheers!

Junniper, MPA said...

Yeah, you're right. And don't worry, I'm not one to go on looks alone. There needs to be something between the ears. And he can't be a conservative. And he has to be able to kill spiders for me.

Tristan Pipo said...

So a Not a Righty. Can Kill Spiders. And something to say.

I could just visualize millions of men raising their hands to volunteer to make you smile.

AnonymousBlogger said...

I agree. He was having a bad day.

I know that's all it is, because he automatically has to be a good guy based soley on his first name.

If you know when he will be by your office, maybe get a couple donuts or cookies or muffins before work, and save them for when he comes by. Then when he says hi, offer him a snack.

I'll be sure to have a chat with him when I see him at the meeting though. I'll let him know what's up.

Cristina said...

I think he had the problem, not you.

I loved the can-kill-spiders priority :D Of course, you're right!

Have a great weekend!

bella said...

I also finally took action on someone who so very specifically seemed to like me and when I did... nothing. Sucks. Next!

Junniper, MPA said...

Linda: I'm with you! :)

Adam Solomon said...

Yeah, you'd be surprised (maybe) how oblivious guys are. According to my Attraction and Relationships class, you have low self-esteem, since you're making a mountain out of a molehill. At this rate, you'll over-react and kill your chances because of misinterpreting a really minor sign. Sorry.

Adam Solomon said...

So wait, if a girl comments on your clothing, it means she's checking you out?

Junniper, MPA said...

Adam. Thanks for that. I'll be sure to check myself into a clinic first thing tomorrow.

And oftentimes, yes, it means she's checking you out (not always!).

Adam Solomon said...

At least I'm finding the time to read people's blogs again.

Luz said...

...And he has to be able to kill spiders for me...

--Too funny! I can always count on a laugh from your blog!

Borya said...

Try seeing it from a larger distance: that was only a moment and it's over. There can be more if you want them to. Not every conversation can be a hit.