Monday, October 09, 2006

Columbus Day Shmolumbus Day

Dear Oregon Weather Gods,

What is your deal? It’s October. What is this BS about it hitting 80 degrees on Wednesday? I’m not down with that—I’ve already put away my summer sandals! My sweaters are out of their summer storage boxes and the blankets are out. Get it together already!

Signed,

Perturbed in Portland

<><><><><><><><><><><><>

I went out to the Pumpkin Patch yesterday, so now my newly-vacuumed car has dirty floor mats, but hey, that’s what floor mats are for!

I bought butternut squash & delicata squash, apples, carrots, asparagus, broccoli, some assorted peppers, and the biggest ass nectarines you’ve ever laid eyes on. My trunk was heaping with produce and I walked away having only spent 11 bucks. Man I love that place. And it’s only going to be open for three more weeks!

I do think this year, though, I’m going to try and fork over the money for the corn maze. I’ve never done it, and this year they have like a “Haunted Maze” at night, so I think I’ll have to check it out. If I don’t make it out, send a search party.



<><><><><><><><><><><><>

In other news, I went to Urban Fondue on Saturday night, and it was oh-so good. We had a white cheddar fondue with the usual bread assortment and some lovely sausage. I also had this ridiculous-looking salad, but it had pancetta so it was excellent. My cocktail of choice was a strawberry Hypnotiq martini, and I swear if I hadn’t been driving I could have had, like, 8. Of course the best part is always the dessert—chocolate fondue with an assortment of fruit, cheesecake, poundcake, and cookie dough! As that annoying Rachel Ray would say, YUM-O.



My friend is a new mom, so she doesn't get out much. Her idea of a night out is Red Robin, so this was all very new to her. She was laughing at me and called me a food snob for eating fondue and ordering salads with weird stuff like "pancetta." It got me thinking, and I have to admit I am a bit of a food snob. But I like it that way--I'll take my salmon and Pinot Noir any day! ...But I also like a good night of pizza and beer! Cheers!

5 comments:

Adam Solomon said...

Here at Yale, we don't celebrate Columbus Day, we celebrate...Indigenous People's Day.

Adam Solomon said...

Mmm...butternut squash.

...Mmm...pizza and beer.

Cristina said...

Columbus rocks! I'm glad we (as in Spain :P) financed his trip.

That Pumpkin Patch place always sounds so great!

AnonymousBlogger said...

You know what you should do? You should go to the pumpkin patch of that family, with the two "little people" parents, and the one little son. You know, the ones on TV. That would be cool.

"Urban Fondue". LOL. Nothing gives off that urban vibe like a fondue. Don't get me wrong. I enjoy fondues. Especially the chocoate ones.

You're a food snob. I'm a jean snob. We're allowed to be snobby when it comes to things we know and love.

Just Me said...

Food snobs (aka "foodies") of the world unite.