Monday, April 23, 2007

Ganache is the devil's bait.

Wedding season has officially begun.



Wedding #1 of 5 was on Saturday, and it was nice. It was my first Catholic wedding, but there wasn’t a mass, so it was only about an hour—which is long as weddings go, really. Most I’ve been to or been in are like 15 minutes, tops. But the bride looked beautiful, and the church was quite lovely. It was a little tiny church in a random neighborhood in Wilsonville (south of Portland). I never would have known it was there, that’s for sure. Their reception was held at the Museum of the Oregon Territory, which sounds weird, but it was a great space. It had a ballroom at the top of the museum, with windows around the whole area. All in all, a good start to the season.





Wedding #2 of 5 is this weekend, but I’m forgoing this one. It’s about 3 hours away, and I have a lot of things to do this weekend. This one is more of an acquaintance, anyway, so I don’t feel guilty for skipping it. I haven’t seen the bride in the better part of a decade. I’ll send a gift and call it good!

Let’s discuss for a moment the idea of bringing a date to a wedding. I never really understood that. I mean, weddings are fun and all, but would you want to go to one if you didn’t know the couple getting married? Let me ask you—would you want to be a date to a wedding? The other strange thing is when you’re in the wedding and you bring a date. It’s not like you can sit with your date because you’re at the wedding party’s table. OK, that was kind of random, but you get the point.

In other news, I went to a fantastic restaurant on Friday. The restaurant is Lauro which is on Division. It’s a self-described “Mediterranean restaurant.” It was so damn good. Had a glass of Tempranillo, which was excellent. Then we shared a plate of tapas, which were also heavenly—great calamari! For my main course, I chose the Paella, which can never live up to the Paella I had in Spain, but it was still pretty damn good. All in all, the restaurant gets an A+.





Even though we were stuffed to the gills, we decided to hit the Pied Cow for some dessert. Ordered a lovely banana crepe a la flambé, which was pretty. They lit rum on fire on the plate. Pretty cool. A crepe accompanied by a café au lait, and I’m in heaven. They also have a selection of hookahs, so if you’re into that, this is the place to be.



So how was your weekend?

5 comments:

Tristan Pipo said...

I have two weddings to hit up this summer. One May something and the other one is in June. I am in the June wedding. They keep telling me to bring a date.

I am like dude no. I got the tux. We rented a two bedroom penthouse in downtown Seattle we are going to pimp the evening in style.

But the reception is a pot luck. I am sorry but if I ever get married invite people I know. Cater the thing.

One thing I don't get about the June wedding is they don't want gifts. They want to you to make monetary donations to their honeymoon fund. To some website that I could have coded up and sold in less then a week. I trust clicking a paypal donation button a bit more since they have been around the block a billion times.

I think stag is the way to go to weddings. Everyone there is already in that wedding mood. I don't know anyone who hasn't seen that crappy annoying film wedding crashers not to know what is going on.

Weddings are just a concept that has baffled me. You get into a huge amount of debt to begin a life with someone by taking something that you feel and bringing the law and a bunch of people that don't really concern your relationship.

Save the cash use it as a down payment on a house. If some family wants you to have a big wedding have them foot the bill call it done.

Adam Solomon said...

I have no weddings this summer, I do believe. Oh well. Next time you're at a Mediterranean restaurant, get Ouzo. Mmmmm.

And my God, hookah and banana flambé? Next time I'm in Oregon, Jenniper...

Cristina said...

I only have one wedding this year and I don't think I'll be missing it ;)

But five weddings?! That's a lot. No wonder you're skipping one.

Tristan - You're absolutely right. I used to say all that but somewhere along the line I managed to fall into the trap :S

AnonymousBlogger said...

I think it would be a little weird going to a wedding in which you don't know anyone. I mean, what are you going to do there? It's not like a bar, where you can mingle and shake hands and drink and casually talk. Well I guess you can do that to an extent at a wedding.

If I was paying for the wedding, I would not allow extra guests. To keep costs down.

Our brilliant student council decided to spend $400 on hookhas to try to stimulate revenues at one of the student run bars. I thought WTF then, and I still don't know what to think of them.

Matt Black said...

Wedding season.

No, wabbit season.

Wedding season.

Wabbit season.