Monday, December 04, 2006

Happiness and Cheer

So, a couple weeks ago I announced the date for my surgery. Well, Amy, the schedule lady, told me she’d call the following week to schedule my pre-op appointment.

Amy never called.

So this morning I went online to check the time of an appointment I have tomorrow, and lo and behold, there is suddenly a pre-op appointment set for me on the 29th.

Yes, that works for me, yes, I knew I would need a pre-op about a week before the surgery, but how is it that they made an appointment without calling me? And if I hadn’t just happened to look on the website, would I have ever known? I mean come on. And then I called them today, left a message, and have not heard a peep back.

Do I really want these people rooting around my head?

: : : : : : : : : : : : : : : :

On a much much lighter note, Portland is such a lovely city during Christmastime. I keep meaning to bring my camera along on my excursions to get real-life pictures, but of course I keep forgetting. That will be my mission for the next week.

This is my must-do Christmas list for my city—

Peacock Lane



Where else can you see an entire street of homes you can’t afford lit to the nines with Christmas lights? I used to go as a child with my grandmother, and then my family after she died, so naturally, the tradition lives on. Park at the Walgreens, go buy some snacks (be sure to get cash back to give a “donation” to the guy handing out hot chocolate), and wander down the street. If you can afford to do the horse & carriage ride, go for it, but no driving. That’s cheating.

Portland International Raceway



Yes, it’s overpriced, yes, it’s silly. But they’re just so pretty. And what other time can you drive 10mph on a race track?

Oregon Zoo Lights



Monkeys swinging from tree to tree, hippos squirting out water as you ride on the train. Dozens of school choirs singing carols. It’s the only way to see the zoo.

The Pittock Mansion



Antique toys strewn about a lovely decorated 23-room mansion. Fantastic panoramic views of my city. Need I say more?

The Christmas Ship Parade



Grab some hot chocolate, put on your layers, and welcome me on my bridge as we watch dozens of ships float by, beautifully decorated and lit up for the holidays! What other city would have something so fabulous?

Pioneer Courthouse Square



Stand in the square, marvel at the lovely Christmas Tree (which they have made PC and now call the “Holiday Tree” but whatev). From there, wander down Broadway to see the rest of the lights around town.

Festival of Lights at the Grotto



No, I’m not Catholic, but there’s something so peaceful about the Grotto at Christmastime. It’s something my grandmother loved almost as much as Peacock Lane.

The Nutcracker



Yes, perhaps the Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairies will get stuck in your head for days, but it’s not-to-be-missed. If for no other reason than to see all the cute little ballerinas dancing about!



The Meier and Frank store windows used to be on my list, but alas…Macy’s has taken over and replaced the 12 Days of Christmas windows. They’re cute and all with the Santas in the windows, but it’s just not the same, you know?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yeah, that part of Christmas is always nice. Still, the holiday season just isn't the same when you're grown up. I can see a million lights lit up, and all the decorations in the world.

It just isn't the same.

Anonymous said...

Junniper!

My heart is aching for Portland! I go to Peacock Lane every single year! I love it so much. Oh so much.

I have never seen the Zoo Lights or the Raceway, but check everything else.

Christmas in Portland is so sentimental to me - I am seriously tearing up!

Junniper, MPA said...

A/B--I disagree completely! Even as an "adult" Christmas is still my favorite time of year. And no less magical than it was when I was a kid!

Madge--Come back! I can't believe you ever left! :)

Anonymous said...

Ok. I just came back to look at the pictures.

*le sigh*

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I need to get the lights up on my house...

Adam Solomon said...

You think Portland is lit up prettily, wait till you see what we did to my dorm ;)

Luz said...

Lovely light photos! I need to get into the Christmas spirit here soon...this weekend! I plan on putting up some lights on my lil tree on my balcony and perhaps a small tree in the apt. Of course listening to Winter Rose is also putting me in the spirit. BTW, best of health on the upcoming op at the end of the month. Thanks for always stopping by the blog as well.

Borya said...

Why don't you go and let yourself treat at that Seattle Grace Hospital? :)

All the best for the surgery.